Earlier today, during a keynote address at Cb Connect, I unveiled our vision for the Cb Predictive Security Cloud™️. The first of its kind, the Cb Predictive Security Cloud is an extensible, cloud-based cyber security platform that helps anticipate and prevent future and unknown cyberattacks.
The driving force for this announcement stems from two macro trends of the worldwide economy:
- The increased mobility of the workforce.
- The continued adoption of cloud solutions by the IT team.
While these are not new or surprising trends, they have caused a fundamental change in the way we need to approach cybersecurity; it’s now abundantly clear that the endpoint is the new perimeter.
In today’s new reality, the device, and the people operating those devices, have taken center stage. Whether in your office or at a Starbucks, your endpoints now have access to some of your organization’s most sensitive data via cloud services, such as Salesforce.com, Office 365, and the Google Suite. This makes it extremely important that each endpoint has its own perimeter able to defend against the most advanced modern attacks.
To achieve this, we must evolve from the reactive, signature-based approach that traditional endpoint solutions have relied on. In order to truly secure the new perimeter, organizations need a solution that is able to leverage big-data analytics to predict future attack trends and stay ahead of advanced, emerging attacks.
The word “predictive” may come off as a loaded term, but it really comes down to an organization’s ability to analyze current and historical facts to make decisions that will prevent future or unknown events.
We are making this a reality by focusing on a few key building blocks:
- Unfiltered Data – Having access to unfiltered endpoint data sets finally puts you in control. It allows you to see brand new attack tactics, techniques, and procedures that no one else in the world has ever seen before.
- Root Cause – Being able to automate root-cause analysis is a direct benefit of collecting unfiltered data. It allows you to determine the initial weakness that the attacker took advantage of, and enables you to address that weakness so you can stop the attacker from ever using it against you again.
- Community – Carbon Black has a community made up of the most advanced technical security experts in the world. The unmatched size and technical expertise of this community enables each member to learn from the trends and techniques shared by the rest of the community.
- Network Effect – In this predictive world, we can leverage the cloud and big data analytics to ensure that an attack against any one of us would make every one of us stronger. This means that attacking any single Carbon Black customer becomes exponentially more difficult, as the entire network works as one.
This is exactly what our vision for the Cb Predictive Security Cloud enables. We’re combining big data analytics with local information from your machine and your systems, giving you the best data possible to protect your environment before you ever fall victim to the attack.
In the end, human participation and decision is critical to our success. Data and analytics only make up half of the solution. The other half of the solution is you, and the decisions you’re able to make when given the right data. This announcement gets us one step closer to a cloud-based solution that gives you all the right data from a single platform.